Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday's Fabulous Woman : Louise Nevelson

A couple of years ago,  I was telling a friend how I wanted one wall of my dream store to be a pile of furniture and things painted grey and he mentioned Louise Nevelson.   Off to Google I went and discovered an incredible sculptor.  Using old and reclaimed things is common place these days but back in the 50s, it was revolutionary.

Louise Nevelson (1899-1988) was known for collecting old furniture and objects obsessively, and transforming them into powerful statements from tabletop size creations to full room installations painting them in a single color. Often black or white.

I love the following extract (found on KickingWind) from Louise Nevelson by Arnold B. Glimcher:  "Once her friend and patron Howard Lipman showed her an early American rocking chair that he had just acquired. He asked Nevelson's opinion of the chair. "I couldn't care less about the chair," she said, "but look at its shadow."



















Portrait by Avedon.  Other photos found on ASkyFilledWithShootingStars and in an article from the Jewish Museum -- both include detailed articles on Louise Nevelson's life and work.

2 comments:

Three Owls said...

what an amazing portrait... and what inspiring works... off to check out the links... happy friday, I have a fabulous woman suggestion... Cougar Annie, my personal fave...have a great weekend.

Paula said...

Thanks for the suggestion - happy weekend to you too!