Friday, July 23, 2010

Friday's Fabulous Man: Yinka Shonibare MBE

Is it just me that is asleep or have you all noticed the changes Google has made to image searches?  In my case it was love at first sight given that all that comes up now are images and when you scroll over an image, the detail that used to be below each image come up.  The collages below were cropped directly from Google.

Now back to the subject at hand:  Yinka Shonibare MBE.  Born in London, Shonibare grew up in Nigeria and then returned to London to study art.  He has built a reputation of commentating on colonialism and related issues.  I love his use of African fabric in his sculpture and paintings.  The contrast between Victorian forms and African cloth is wonderful.  I have yet to see his work in person but its on my list!

No comments: