Friday, December 10, 2010

Friday's Fabulous Woman: Julia Morgan

I was having a conversation with one of my favorite customers last week about how much I loved finding out that my favorite fountain in Paris was designed by a woman.  She mentioned that lots of people would be surprised that San Simeon (Hearst Castle) was designed by a woman.  So off I went googling and found the very impressive Julia Morgan.

She was a woman of firsts: the first woman to graduate with a degree in engineering from the University of California at Berkeley, in 1894; the first woman to enter (and graduate from) the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris; and the first woman architect in California.  From the moment she opened her own practice in 1905 until she retired in 1950, she designed upwards of 700 buildings.
















Images here and here

No comments: